Saturday, February 09, 2008

A great day!

There isn't much anymore that will get me up early enough on a Saturday to be showered and presentable and on the road before 8:00 a.m., but the chance to meet Yankee T was more than enough for me. Unfortunately, in my rush to get out the door this morning, I forgot my camera. Run over to her blog to see a photo from the day. The ones she takes are so much better than mine anyway.

I arrived in the city that's home to the newest presidential library late this morning. YT had called about 30 minutes before I got to the place where we were to meet; she was early and I was late. I had no trouble spotting her car in the parking lot when I got there. Long time readers of her blog know that the back end of her station wagon is a bulletin board of clever bumper stickers supporting every liberal cause known to humankind. When I rounded the corner near the restaurant where we were to meet, I spotted her immediately. Her denim jacket which I'd seen photographed recently was easily visible from a distance. She was on the phone, but turned to see me and recognized me right away. It's amazing how that happens. After three years of visiting over e-mail and through blogs, it's like we'd already met.

We had lunch and went through the usual run down of past blogger meet-ups and some catch up on what's happening in each of our lives. We talked about the presidential race and other assorted fun things. YT is as warm and spunky in person as she is on her blog. It took no time for me to relax and enjoy the conversation. She proved to be a true friend when she pointed out the piece of lettuce I had stuck in my teeth, saving me from certain humiliation!

Almost three years ago, I made my first attempt at leaving AM. It was a scary night, spent in a hotel alone and uncertain what the future would hold. I had two phone conversations that night, one with YT, who had been following my saga through my blog and e-mail, and one to a good friend in the town where I lived. The sound of YT's voice has stayed with me since that night. It was great to hear it in person today!

After lunch, we sauntered through the newest presidential library, then parted ways. It was such a great day! My only regret is that I didn't get to meet the World's Best Bleeding Heart Attorney or any of their amazing daughters. Perhaps a trip in the future will allow that to happen.

Thanks for a great day, YT!

1 comment:

Yankee, Transferred said...

You are too kind. If you'll allow, I'll post the picture I took of you. I am reflected in your sunglasses, so there is proof of the meetup. If you prefer not, I'll just send it to you.
I had a wonderful time with you, dear friend, and I look forward to hosting you some time.
Love,
YT