Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Realization

I have been infinitely more interested in the presidential race this year than I've ever been. Some of that, I think, has to do with my strong desire to see a change, but that's been true in the past too.

But here's the major difference, I think: I don't watch TV anymore and am, thus, not bombarded with ads. I am in control of the information I take in and can study it in a more reasoned, measured way.

I will be voting in my first ever primary in a few weeks. Until I moved to my current state, I was registered as an independent voter. Since I lived in a state (and do now, too) where only registered party members could vote in primaries, I never had an opportunity to participate in that part of the process. When I moved, I registered as a Democrat so that I would have that option. As a result, I've gotten invested far earlier in the process, and find the whole thing completely fascinating.

Now, I can't speak for the rest of the country, but I am pretty much convinced that TV was killing my investment in previous elections. It's reasonable, I think, to point to the ads themselves and the sheer volume of them as a source of election-related apathy in this country.

Just me wondering out loud. Carry on.

2 comments:

Jan said...

That's an interesting observation. I watch less and less tv and haven't seen any political advertisements. However, I'm not very interested in all the politicians right now.

Yankee, Transferred said...

I'm with you! We don't watch TV any more either, and we are devouring the political stuf these days.