Wednesday, April 04, 2007

A holy moment

I left my house this morning for my usual run. It's cold here today, well colder than it has been, and my legs felt tight, so I thought, "I'll walk. No, I'll saunter this morning." The first thing I noticed is that the sky was that gorgeous color of blue when the sun's light first appears. Then I saw the nearly full moon. As I continued down the path, I saw that the river is very full right now. Normally, our river is a small trickle in an otherwise large and wide bed of sand. Right now it is a river. Then I heard a rustling noise in the brush along the river bank. Since it is not uncommon for people to sleep along that part of the river, I didn't bother to look at what was moving around. I kept sauntering. But on the way back, I heard it again and noticed there was a clearing in the brush wide enough to look down to the river bank. There is a ditch that leads down to the river at that point, and along the side of the ditch is a hole. I saw something moving just outside the hole. Very quickly I realized the movement was from a couple of baby foxes. The fox I saw on Sunday has a den along the river. I saw her run by in the background. She has at least three babies, maybe four, quite possibly five. I knelt and watched them play for a long time this morning. Two of the babies even ran up the river bank and stared at me for awhile.

And right there, as I watched those foxes play, I cried. They are so beautiful....

Don't you all want to visit me here? Come on over. I live in the smallish sort of southern, sort of midwestern city, by the river, just two minutes from downtown, and about a half mile from the fox den. I'll leave the light on.

9 comments:

JM said...

baby foxen! that's outstanding.

What Now? said...

I must say that your descriptions of your new city have done a lot to redeem the state for me. Previously, I associated the state only with the fact that my parents grew up there (in the major university city in the state) and that my grandparents still lived there as I grew up, so we made lots of visits, always in the worst heat of the summer or the ice of the winter. And since almost everyone I knew there was eventually in their 60s/70s and very ill, it was also the state of duty-visits and of funerals. So I've been delighted by your stories that show me a different side!

jo(e) said...

Baby fox! Oh, what a great walk.

I'll come visit, for sure.

Scrivener said...

What fun!

Listing Straight said...

Wonderful...

Thinking about you as you interview....

Iris said...

That is a holy moment during holy week! It's interesting to me that your institution would choose this week for interviewing. I hope that it goes well.

PPB said...

Yay for people who can see the beauty of foxes whiel they interview for jobs. Yay for you, Linda (Fox Minder)

SassyFemme said...

Oh my gosh, what an amazing experience!

Marie said...

Count me in!